There’s something that Sleeping Beauty discovered all too well–that after a good night sleep, you’d wake to something wonderful. Sleeping Beauty might be a fairytale, but the notion that wonderful things come from good sleeping habits, is not. Entrepreneur sleep patterns can be erratic given their penchant for late night work binges.
“Sleep is an active period in which a lot of important processing, restoration, and strengthening occurs.” National Sleep Foundation
According to the National Sleep Foundation, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. But often entrepreneurs are sleep deprived because they are staying up to make deadlines, dealing with stress or drinking too much caffeine–and their businesses suffer as a result.
Harvard Medical School’s Division of Sleep Medicine confirms that sleep deprivation can negatively affect cognitive functions such as alertness, concentration and memory.
Tips to make sure you’re getting enough sleep
- Go to sleep and get up everyday at the same time.
- Exercise daily, as it will improve quality of sleep. It will also reduce stress.
- Avoid drinking too much caffeine throughout the day and into the night.
- Develop a relaxing routine before bedtime such as reading or listening to music.
- Create an oasis with your bedroom so that you look forward to a good night’s sleep, including a comfy bed, attractive decor and calming scents.